Join The Daily Bible Challenge to read through the entire Bible in one year!
Join the Daily Bible Challenge!
Three easy steps to participate:
1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.
2. Read the daily reading.
3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Blessings/Punishments for Obedience/Disobedience
In Leviticus 26:3-45 the list of punishments for disobedience is about three times as long as the list of blessings for obedience. Why is this? The People's Bible says, "It is important, therefore, to understand exactly what life would be like if God's blessings were removed." I wonder if it isn't also because God knew which direction the people would ultimately end up going and he mercifully wanted to give them plenty of warning. Not only that, but as it is with all prophecies, this would later show that God was always been in control and had a plan for his people. Even when most of the Israelites would reject him, God offered comforting words for those who would stand strong. "But if they will confess their sins and the sins of their fathers--their treachery against me and their hostility toward me, which made me hostile toward them so that I sent them into the land of their enemies--then when their uncircumcised hearts are humbled and they pay for their sin, I will remember my covenant with Jacob and my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land" (26:40-42).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment