Congratulations on reading the entire Old Testament! As the editor guides us through a few days' worth of historical background leading up to the New Testament time, I hope you share, along with me, excitement for the coming of Jesus and the new era he launches where his great sacrifice and the work of the Holy Spirit are the driving force in the lives of his his chosen people, the Church.
Meanwhile I'd like to take this opportunity to look with a "big picture" view at the Old Testament and list some of the overall lessons those books have taught us:
- Since creation God has continuously worked through history for the benefit of his people.
- God tells us what he is going to do, then does it.
- God is continuously merciful despite the rebellion of his people.
- Human beings, entrusted with the law, do not have the power to keep it.
Those are some of the overarching themes I can think of that God has taught us since the beginning of this year to prepare us for the New Testament. If you think of others, please do share. Also, if there was anything eye-opening to you, something you noticed for this first time with this reading of the Old Testament, I'd love to hear that as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment