Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Monday, February 28, 2011

Penalty for Rape

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 says, "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." This to me doesn't sound like a very good deal for the woman!

Commentaries say fifty shekels of silver probably equaled the average bride-price at Moses' time. Since Leviticus 27:1-7 says fifty shekels is the price of a higher-end slave, I'm assuming that's pretty expensive. This plus the fact that he could never divorce her was intended to make him think past the passion to the responsibilities involved.

Still it seems like a bad deal for the female. I'm thinking this may be a case where the cultural differences from then to now are so great that it's hard for us to understand. One thought that comes to mind is the Israelite assembly for us would be more like a church body than a nation. The difference is we tend to view our fellow members in the church like family and to work harder to restore those who fall to a responsible place in society. Any other thoughts about what might be behind this law--perhaps the differences between the culture then versus now?

3 comments:

  1. I said "we tend to view our fellow members in the church like family and to work harder to restore those who fall to a responsible place in society"--actually I should have said "to a responsible place spiritually," because those in church with us have a spiritual foundation which can make it easier to restore them after a fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found these comments on these verses to be helpful when I encountered them: http://www.gotquestions.org/Deuteronomy-22-28-29-marry-rapist.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete