There is no need for The Daily Bible commentary to insert the word "evidently" in their comment on page 45. This implies that we don't know for certain that Abraham believed that God would raise Isaac from the dead, if necessary, in order to fulfill his promise.
Hebrews 11:17-19 is unambiguous - By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned." Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death.
I found myself asking "what was Abraham thinking?" in a critical way when he pretended Sarah was his sister. Now I find myself asking this same question in absolute awe at the incredible faith he displays here.
Blogger.com needs a "like" button like Facebook. I have nothing to add but appreciate and agree with your post!
ReplyDeleteI believe this was mentioned earlier in the blog, but it's amazing to see Abraham's ups and downs. This is an incredible high point in his faith, but he has also demonstrated low points by (twice) claiming Sarah as his sister. I am comforted by the reminder that although Abraham struggled at times, he still had moments of incredible faith. It's always something to strive for in our lives as well.
ReplyDelete