Genesis is full of heroes of faith through whom God shows his goodness and sovereignty. Right now, fresh off the reading of Genesis 50, I'm going with Joseph. He honored his father, is the model of forgiveness as he shows love to his brothers even though they sold him into slavery, was salt and light in a pagan culture, always gave credit to and fully trusted God even in his death. As far as I can tell, he was the husband of one wife, even though he was the second most powerful man in Egypt.
He fully trusted that God would fulfil his promise to give the land of Canaan to his people. The last verse of Genesis states that "after they embalmed him, he was placed in a coffin in Egypt." Even in death, he served as an inspiration to the people of Israel for hundreds of years as they suffered in bondage in Egypt. His unburied coffin served as a reminder that God would deliver them.
I'm with you on your choice of Joseph. I have great respect for people who God richly blesses and who yet do not let it go to their head but humbly acknowledge that God gave them everything.
ReplyDeleteI am partial to Joseph, but I have to go with Abraham. I love the fact that he isn't perfect, and he does make some decisions which are clearly not in line with God's law, but he is still upheld as a great man of faith. I am always impressed by his willingness to leave the land that he knew and follow God's command.
ReplyDeleteJoseph gets my vote!
ReplyDeleteMy wife, Kathleen suggests that we're missing the forest for the trees. Her favorite charactor is God. The whole book is about him and what he's done for his people. All of the rest of the charactors are just supporting roles.
ReplyDeleteHard to argue with that!