Join The Daily Bible Challenge to read through the entire Bible in one year!
Join the Daily Bible Challenge!
Three easy steps to participate:
1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.
2. Read the daily reading.
3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).
Saturday, January 1, 2011
Creating Relationships
Growing up I always felt a little conflicted about the Creation Story in the Bible. I could never balance the feelings of awe and wonder over our universe and our own creation with the shame and consequences of Eve’s first sin. As a girl and now as a woman it is difficult still to balance those same emotions. The commentary presented by F. La Gard Smith in his initial thoughts, “But given what appears to be intelligent design and order throughout the universe, an origin by chance seems hard to accept”, while I know he speaks of our universe at large I wonder if the same isn’t true for the relationship created in Genesis between men and women. The word of God says in Genesis 2:18 “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” “Helper” has always felt derogatory or patronizing to me. Why wouldn’t women be “partners” or “mates” or something else that places us as more than a tool in the world of men? As a woman, I think it is impossible to not feel the shame, guilt, and fear when Eve commits the world’s first sin. Perhaps this is why as a teenager at Catechism I was so uncomfortable with the creation story. It has been put out there for all to know. Her shame is our shame. For it was her sin that left us with the consequences that now define us as a sex; painful child birth and to be ruled by our men. Again, these words are so strong and definitive. , “…and he will rule over you”. Despite how you may feel about the bonds of marriage or one’s responsibilities therein, I don’t really want to make a political statement either way. These words lay the foundation for God’s expectations for the relationship between men and women. This “design” is for a specific purpose. I am anxious to see through this course of study how this relationship (the one between men and women) changes through the course of biblical history. It is very poetic to start a new year at the beginning of creation. To go forward sometimes you really do have to go back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I looked into the word "helper" because many times the English translation falls short of the Hebrew text. The Hebrew is `ezer kenegdo. 'ezer occurs twenty other times in the Old Testament and each time it is describing God (Deut. 33:29; Psalm 121:1-2; Psalm 33:20). These other verses show that "helper" is too weak of a translation. We often think of helper as a person that assists with everyday tasks, but these verses show that our helper serves as our strength in very desperate situations. In other words, it just emphasizes how much a man needs a woman just like humans need God to make it through life.
ReplyDeleteMarcy, thanks for launching this right into excellent discussion at the get-go. You said "It was [Eve's] sin that left us with the consequences that now define us as a sex...to be ruled by our men." That was interesting and raised the question for me "Are the roles of men and women based on sin?" But then I thought how God's initial act was producing a helper for the man, and as Justin said this was a great thing. Only after sin does it become "he will rule over you." That "rule" is not saying how it should be but how, because of sin, it unfortunately will be. Husbands will be tempted to dominate their wives and wives will feel burdened rather than blessed by a husband's headship. New Testament passages, where believers are encouraged to live in light of Christ's love (like Eph 5:22-33), encourage us to see the original blessing and avoid caving into our sinful leanings.
ReplyDeleteOn another point it's true Eve sinned first but isn't it an interesting display of God's grace that the first promise of a Savior in Ge 3:15 talks about him as the offspring of the woman?
Wow, there is so much packed into this first part of Genesis since everything is set into motion; I'd like to get into so much more but know I don't have time today. Fortunately, especially in the New Testament there are many times where it points back to this portion of Scripture as a basis for so many teachings.
I don't know that we can say Eve sinned first, can we? I know that later God, through Paul, says she was deceived first, but couldn't one argue that Adam sinned first by abdicating his role of leader? After all, he was right there next to her the while time, just watching to see what would happen to her. Why didn't he stop her? Besides, Romans 5 seems to lay the guilt on Adam. Just as the aim of one man brought death...
ReplyDeleteGood point though, Adam, that the roles assigned to man and woman come before the fall into sin and are in no way shameful, but perfect and Braydon. It's not until after the fall that what God sets up as perfect is ruined by mankind and man and woman's individual selfishness.
Looking forward to more discussion. May God bless our reading and grant us all a strengthened faith by it!
Rob, good catch. You're right; we can't say definitively that Eve sinned first. I always picture the account as Eve by herself with the serpent and then getting Adam later but it definitely says "She also gave some to her husband, WHO WAS WITH HER, and he ate it." Really it all comes to do, starting here, "all have sinned" (Romans 6:23), and if it weren't for Jesus we'd all be condemned.
ReplyDeleteJust today in Bible class the pastor was talking about God's creation of woman and he said, as Justin was pointing out, the Hebrew word translated "helper" is more accurately "one who completes." It is saying that woman completes man. I thought that was pretty cool and had to share it. Sounds like the movie "Jerry Maguire" had it right ("You complete me")!
ReplyDelete