Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ahaz's Altar

The first time I read about Ahaz's plans to build an Assyrian altar I was a little confused whether his heart was in the right place or note. Ahaz's building of an Assyrian altar for the temple was not motivated with a God-pleasing spirit but an idolatrous one. Putting this altar in the temple and using it in worship broke several of God's commands. The fact that Uriah the priest was part of the effort shows the level of corruption among the people's leaders.

On a side note if you're wondering about his removing of different parts and items from the temple--he was taking the bronze either to pay the king of Assyria or to hide it from the king of Assyria so he wouldn't have to pay him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment