In today's reading Isaiah 40:29-31 is very true to my experience: "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
I can't imagine life without the strength God gives me. With faith I know God is with me in everything I do, and that no matter what happens the worst that can happen is death--which is actually sweet relief because I'm heading to heaven. In this same way, when a loved one dies in faith I know where they'll be and that I'll see them again.
Meanwhile God gives this life meaning. I think of Solomon in Ecclesiastes where he tried every kind of pleasure from power to achievement to companionship and even drink, and he still felt meaningless. All of these pleasures are empty without us seeing life with its purpose found in God (now read through that list again and consider how each of those mentioned is a true blessing for the Christian--interesting how the perspective changes, isn't it?). God gives us the blessing of being his servants and finding fulfillment in daily work that glorifies him.
The strength and contentment that God gives is a huge blessing for which we can thank him. Otherwise these years of our lives would surely drag on and on at best--or worse, be filled with distress.
No comments:
Post a Comment