Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jeremiah's Agony

As I mentioned yesterday Jeremiah is unique for his sharing of his emotions occasionally throughout the book. Jeremiah 4:19-26 is mostly Jeremiah's expression of "agony at the approaching destruction of his beloved land and its people" (Concordia Self-Study Bible), so The Daily Bible editor incorrectly heads the section with "God's Agony" instead of "Jeremiah's Agony."

The NIV text distinguishes the speaker by using quotes when it is the LORD speaking. My question is how do the translators know? It seems like I heard somewhere that the Hebrew doesn't have punctuation like English does. Are they just making educated guesses based on what is being said?

No comments:

Post a Comment