- In Ezekiel 20:37-38 God says, "I will take note of you as you pass under my rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant...Although I will bring them out of the land where they are living, yet they will not enter the land of Israel." When God says, "I will bring you into the bond of the covenant," it is meant to be a good thing--comforting. When he says, "I will bring them out of the land where they are living," he means Canaan. "They will not enter the land of Israel" is comparing back to when God led the people out of Egypt for their good into the land of milk and honey. This time he is leading the people out of Canaan to Babylon for their good--so they will repent.
- In Ezekiel 21:18-24 it talks about King Nebuchadnezzar consulting omens over whether he should attack Ammon or Jerusalem. Both were apparently revolting against Babylon. He drew out an arrow with a name on it and Judah won out. "It will seem like a false omen to those who have sworn allegiance to him, but he will remind them of their guilt and take them captive." This is talking about Judah. They had made an allegiance so they felt safe, but they forgot how Zedekiah had violated the terms of the alliance.
- In 21:29, the prophecy against Ammon, God says, "Despite false visions concerning you and lying divinations about you..." This is referring to false prophets in Ammon, who, like the false prophets in Israel, were only sharing (false) good news with the people.
Join The Daily Bible Challenge to read through the entire Bible in one year!
Join the Daily Bible Challenge!
Three easy steps to participate:
1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.
2. Read the daily reading.
3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).
Friday, August 19, 2011
Interpretation Helps for Ezekiel 20-21
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment