I think Ezekiel 3:16-21 is one of the clearest sections in the Bible about our accountability for the spiritual well-being of others. God says, "When I say to a wicked man, 'You will surely die,' and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself."
How does this make you feel? I know it scared me the first time I read it. Have I ever seen a situation where I knew someone was doing something wrong yet I failed to speak up to warn that person? Definitely. And God tells me I am accountable for that. My next thought was the fact that we who trust Jesus are forgiven of this sin just like all the rest. Although we are guilty, we are innocent through Jesus. My motivation has now changed. I will do as God asks, not out of fear but out of thanks, sharing his love for lost souls and a hope for their repentance and salvation through trusting God.
We often are excited at the thought of outreach but wonder where to start. I hope you will see these situations of calling sinners to repentance not as awkward exchanges to avoid but as opportunities to share God's Word and save souls. And when looking at our world, with all of its spiritual challenges and pitfalls, in this new light, I can assure you that you will quickly become quite the evangelist, or, as God calls Ezekiel, a "watchman" for the good of others.
No comments:
Post a Comment