Something struck me for the first time ever today when reading Matthew 22:41-46. In this account Jesus asks the Pharisees what they think about the Messiah (Christ)--whose son is he? They reply, "The son of David." That the Messiah would be a descendant of David is a correct answer on its face. But Jesus knows their hearts and points out how David called the Messiah "Lord." David recognized that he was his superior, more than just a descendant. He was God.
I did not realize that the Pharisees believed the Messiah would be just another human being. I was under the impression that they thought a God-man would return to restore an earthly kingdom--and this, the earthly kingdom, was their major flaw that caused them to skip over the humble and spiritually-focused Jesus. However, this section makes clear that it was worse than that. God and spirituality played even less of a role in their faith than I knew.
This will definitely have me looking the words of the Pharisees in a whole new light going forward. Is this new to anyone else?
No comments:
Post a Comment