"Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?" (1 Corinthians 1:20) A theology professor at Wisconsin Lutheran College once shared with us that the higher he went in academia the fewer Christians he could find. It makes sense given the underlying principle of higher education usually is what man can discover by his own observations; all conclusions will necessarily be drawn at the exclusion of God.
In my college days I would naively get excited when I'd see, especially around Christmas or Easter, feature presentations on TV or in a magazine about a biblical topic: "The Real Jesus" or "Secrets of the Bible." Now I know better. After watching or reading several of these I began to realize it was the same experts referencing everything but the Bible to draw conclusions that undermined the Bible.
It's just human nature to think we have all the answers. The last thing we want to do is close our eyes and submit to an invisible God who we can't fully grasp; this hands our control over to someone else.
Thank God that we have his wisdom which helps us leave behind our self-centered human nature. "It is because of [God] that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: 'Let him who boasts boast in the Lord'" (1 Corinthians 1:30-31).
No comments:
Post a Comment