I found it interesting in today's reading, Genesis 24:14, where Abraham's servant prays to God for an obvious sign that he's found a wife for Isaac: "May it be that when I say to a girl, "Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,' and she says, 'Drink, and I'll water your camels too'--let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac." It happens to turn out just the way he prayed, and he finds the right wife for Isaac. There are other places in the Bible where people ask for signs, for example we previously read Genesis 15:8.
I know Christian friends who have viewed certain events as signs from God. Sometimes I've done this myself in the past. I have said, "God, if I should do this then please do that," and usually nothing happens. It seems like a very fine line between asking for a sign and testing God. Any thoughts on this?
Here is an article from the WELS outreach Web site whataboutjesus.com that I found that is somewhat helpful, although we may not find the black and white answer that we're looking for on this matter. I do think our first step in looking for guidance should always be to consult God's Word and to pray that God's will be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment