Join The Daily Bible Challenge to read through the entire Bible in one year!
Join the Daily Bible Challenge!
Three easy steps to participate:
1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.
2. Read the daily reading.
3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
The Triune God in Genesis
With the help of the context of John 1:1-3 (a reference to Jesus), we can look at Genesis 1:1-2 and see the Triune God at work at the very beginning. In addition, have you noticed God speaking of himself in the plural, such as in Genesis 1:26 and again today in the account of the tower of Babel in Genesis 11:7, "Come, let us go down and confuse their language . . . "?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I noticed this as I was reading as well. One singular God, but 3 separate persons. I think it further shows that the 3 persons are equal but different.
ReplyDeleteAnd just a few chapters later, we see the Three Visitors, though Abraham calls them Lord.
ReplyDeleteScott, thanks for the discussion! Very interesting thought on the three visitors and the possibility of them representing the Triune God. I hadn't thought of that before and the idea intrigued me. In reading 18:1-15 it sure does seem to be that way. However the later verses of chapter 18 and into 19 better distinguish the three. In 18:22 it says, "The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD." Then 19:1 says, "The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening." In 19:12 the two "men" say to Lot, "Do you have anyone else here--sons-in-law, sons or daughters, or anyone else in the city who belongs to you? Get them out of here because we are going to destroy this place. The outcry to the LORD against its people is so great that he has sent us to destroy it." I think that last verse especially shows these two are angels. If it were the persons of the Trinity they wouldn't talk about the LORD sending them because they would be the LORD.
ReplyDelete