Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Song of Unfaithfulness

It had to be with great sadness that Moses taught the Israelites the song of unfaithfulness as they prepare to enter the promised land. Right before they enter God says "these people will prostitute themselves to the foreign gods of the land they are entering." Some of the prophesies that God predicts are unbelievably graphic and depressing. Moses knows from his own experience that they will rebel. He says, "For I know after my death you are sure to become utterly corrupt and turn from the way I have commanded you."

As the commentator said - the contrast between the faithfulness of God and the unfaithfulness of man to be especially evident in today's lesson. Also, I'm glad that I don't live under the law or don't have to rely on following the law to be saved.

2 comments:

  1. It had to be very hard for Moses to not be able to enter the promised land after all they had been through. Especially so knowing that his people would turn away from God. I am still marveling at all those laws. Just amazing the detailed regulations they were given. I too am very thankful that I don't have to rely on following the law to be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that thought too that Moses' job was probably, at the same time, one of the worst and one of the best you could ask for. His entire life was about the law with the reward of the Promised Land being their hope as they wandered in the desert all that time, and yet he wouldn't be able to realize that reward. Then again his relationship with God was one of a kind. And while you could think of it as him not being permitted entry into the Promised Land you could also think of it as him getting to skip the limited beauty of an earthly land for the infinite beauty of heaven.

    ReplyDelete