Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Achish / Abimelech

In today's reading, 1 Samuel 21:10-15 tells how David fled to Philistine territory, and when the servants of Achish king of Gath recognized him, he feigned insanity to escape. This section is followed by Psalm 34 which has the note, "Of David. When he pretended to be insane before Abimelech, who drove him away, and he left." I was confused by the name "Abimelech" here when it should be Achish. The commentaries reveal Abimelech is an alternate name or title for Achish.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for clarifying that; I had been wondering the same thing.

    ReplyDelete