In Luke 24:44, right before his ascension, Jesus told his disciples, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms."
My impression reading through the psalms so far is Jesus is right (no surprise there)! When you first think of the psalms you might think about poetry praising God. It's that, but it's more than that as well. It's actually pretty amazing how, scattered throughout, there is foreshadowing of Jesus. Just today, look at Psalm 35:13-16 where the psalmist shows great concern for his enemies even as they turn on him. Jesus applied the principle of this and other similarly themed psalms to himself in John 15:25 when he told his disciples, "But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: 'They hated me without reason.'" Another prediction of Jesus, specifically his betrayal by Judas, was in today's reading in Psalm 41:9: "Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me."
No comments:
Post a Comment