Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hebrew Helps for the Day

As I was browsing the People's Bible regarding today's reading I ran across a correction to the text and a very interesting note about the names of nine of Heman's fourteen sons:
  • 1 Chronicles 25:1 says, "David, together with the commanders of the army, set apart some . . . for the ministry of prophesying, accompanied by harps, lyres, and cymbals." The People's Bible says the Hebrew phrase translated "commanders of the army" here is actually "leaders of the host," more likely referring to the tribal host of Levi.
  • Heman and his sons were some of those designated to prophesy, or to proclaim messages inspired by God. After his first five sons, Heman gave the remaining nine sons "names that when reeled off one after the other, formed a psalm of praise to the God who had so graciously kept his promise to exalt him":
          Hebrew Name                        English Translation
          Hananiah                                 Have mercy, O LORD!
          Hanani                                     Have mercy on me!
          Eliathah                                    You are my God,
          Giddalti                                    whom I magnify
          Romamti                                   and exalt.
          Ezer (J)oshbekashah                  My Helper when in difficulty,
          Mallothi                                     he has endowed me
          Hothir                                        by an abundance
         Mahazioth                                  of (prophetic) visions.

No comments:

Post a Comment