Join The Daily Bible Challenge to read through the entire Bible in one year!
Join the Daily Bible Challenge!
Three easy steps to participate:
1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.
2. Read the daily reading.
3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).
Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Ahithophel
Ahithophel, David's counselor who abandoned him and sided with Absalom, was the grandfather of Bathsheba (see 2 Samuel 11:3 and 23:34). Perhaps David's treatment of Bathsheba and Uriah was the reason for Ahithophel's betrayal--as well as the advice he gives Absalom to sleep with his father's concubines who were left behind to watch the palace (16:21).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What really struck me in the last few days, or maybe in the coming days as I am a little ahead in my reading, is that the vision I have of David's reign does not exactly match the reality of it. Lots of very unpleasant things going on - war, betrayal, beheadings, etc., etc. etc! It was not an easy time to live and I would think often faith-testing for many.
ReplyDeleteIt's a captivating section of Scripture, isn't it? It's very easy to read ahead.
ReplyDelete