Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Psalms 71 and 83

Some various points about two of the psalms in today's reading:
  • 71:6, "From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb" points out the value of the life of the pre-born.
  • 71:7, "I have become like a portent to many." I had to look up "portent." It is "an indication or omen of something about to happen, especially something momentous." The word seems to carry a negative connotation. This line seems to point to David's troubles being a sign of weakness to his enemies. Verse 11 says, "They say, 'God has forsaken him; pursue him and seize him, for no one will rescue him.'" However, verse 7 finishes with David trusting in God: "but you are my strong refuge."
  • Verse 15 shows faith in God's righteousness and salvation, and verse 20 shows faith in life with God after death.
  • Psalm 83:13--I have nothing really deep to share. It just struck me how Asaph refers to tumbleweed. I guess I didn't know there was tumbleweed in the Middle East, did you?

No comments:

Post a Comment