Sheryl Crow, in her song "Soak Up the Sun" sings, "It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." Wise words. It sounds like she took a cue from Ecclesiastes. Several passages in today's reading highlight the gift of contentment. In 6:9 Solomon says, "Better what the eye sees than the roving of the appetite." In other words, enjoy what you see before you rather than looking for more. In 6:3 it says, "A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive a proper burial (meaning his death goes unlamented), I say that a stillborn child is better off than he."
And Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 points out contentment is a gift from God to those who trust in him: "Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work--this is a gift from God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart."
One day some years ago (maybe it was after reading this section of Scripture) I had the bright idea to stop praying for stuff I wanted and to start praying for contentment--to just be happy. It's amazing how God has heard my prayer. Sometimes I feel myself lagging and realize I haven't been praying that particular petition. God is always quick to hear me, to open my eyes to see the huge expanse of blessings he has spread before me. If you haven't already prayed for contentment, I'd encourage you to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment