Join the Daily Bible Challenge!


Three easy steps to participate:

1. Purchase The Daily Bible. The best price is online, but it is also available at local Christian bookstores. I recommend hardcover.

2. Read the daily reading.

3. Optional: Return to this site to discuss the readings (consider bookmarking this site so you can easily find it each day).

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Psalms 42 and 43 One Psalm

In the footnote for Psalm 42 in today's reading it says, "In many Hebrew manuscripts Psalms 42 and 43 constitute one psalm." Because of this, I kind of wish the editor of The Daily Bible had kept them together. I would encourage you to read them in this combined format. It tells the story of a Levite separated from the temple in Jerusalem over three stanzas and divided by the refrain "Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

By the way, verse seven kind of stumped me where it says, "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me." This probably refers to the sounds of the waters pouring from the "deep" of the heavens to the "deep" and the streams, rivers, and seas below. The point of the psalmist is a feeling of being overwhelmed, deluged with sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment